AMD's Ryzen is here!

Core M (or Y series as they call it now) throttles when the heat emission reaches the TDP, even though the temperature is good. Which means it’s an actual limitation…

Could you pals get on topic again pls
If you want to discuss what a TDP is make a new thread.

I meant that if something works with for example an efficiency of 80% then 20% of the input energy is lost (=generated?) as heat. I didn’t mean that heat is lost. I meant that energy is lost as heat and not used to execute instructions (to take a CPU as an example again).
And sorry, @TheDestiny. Should be over very soon :grin:

@pauliunas

Paul, where did you get that information i.e. the processor throttles when the heat emission (power drawn?) on Intel Y-series processors reaches TDP?

@SyrtakiVampir

I had already an idea to start a TDP and power draw thread in the future.

But I need to compile enough information to present facts about the thermal design power and power draw in an easy to digest format and as concisely as possible. Have to think about it a while.

I’ll probably concentrate on the Intel Y-series processors.

You’ll be invited to the thread (if you want).

I’ll be back…

Just a quick example:
“At least during multi-threading, the i7-5600U cannot constantly clock at its 3.1 GHz maximum. The clock rate falls to 2.8 GHz after about 30 seconds in Cinebench R11.5 in order to stay within the TDP, which may only be exceeded for a short time. This is not necessary during single-core load, since the power consumption remains significantly below the permitted 15 Watts, even when the core clocks at 3.2 GHz. We did not find any differences between mains operation and battery mode.”

Source: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T450s-Ultrabook-Review.137248.0.html

If you google “TDP throttling” you will find many examples, and the ThrottleStop app even has some options related to TDP, I think.

Here’s a nice thread with more in-depth information about TDP throttling:

I’ll have a look, thanks.

Here an overview of all the review for ryzen.

It looks like a great enthusiast platform for the cost! A lot of reasonable choices, with a good overall price for performance relative to the competition! I am a bit surprised about some of the reports on issues with the memory clock speeds, though that is apparently a Mobo issue in the initial firmwares from the OEMs. I am intrigued to see the laptop chips that come out of this, as this would be a solid choice!

Move reviews:

Guru3D:

Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/17

I happy to know that AMD is officially back into competition :slight_smile:

There was an AMA on reddit, lots of interesting questions were answered.
The memory problem should get fixed soon.

AMD has revealed their Ryzen 5 CPUs.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amds-zen-goes-mainstream-with-ryzen-5-4-cores-8-threads-from-169/

ponders about dual-CPU Ryzen setups

I’ll never buy a single CPU machine again, I love my dual Xeons :stuck_out_tongue:

Get yourself a nipple… Uh naple i mean.
(sry that one was low)

Has anyone had any thoughts about the possibility of Ryzen-powered Eve V tablets, in future iterations of the tablet?

The chips are getting some pretty storming reviews, [like this one] (http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176191/computers/ryzen-review-amd-is-back.html).

In particular, the adapting-to-cooling abilities sounds particularly interesting, given the latest posts about the V’s ability to hold down it’s cooling so well - it sounds like the design might be able to squeeze as much out of these chips as possible, which is pretty exciting.

No, it won’t work. V is passively cooled.

Right. That’s true of the current desktop Ryzen processors, but AMD suggested that ULV options are due out later this year, which might allow passive cooling.

IF they ever release anything at least remotely as efficient as Intel’s counterparts, then we might consider them. But I’m not on their hype train and I hope you don’t board it either… This happens every year.

Some solid advice. Good to know. :ok_hand:

This isn’t something that happens every year, @pauliunas :stuck_out_tongue:

We already discussed further up in the thread that they actually came up with a completely new architecture (in comparison to Intel, who definitely stayed ahead of AMD during the last years, but didn’t change that much each year while always making a huge fuzz about it all the time).

So IMO they are allowed to advertise it big time. And if you put the price into the equation AMD is ahead right now, I think. Intel’s best chip is better than AMD’s best one, but also more than double the price and at the same price point AMD is ahead. So, if you don’t need the best high-end PC, but the second best is ok as well, you can actually save over 500$…

If the same would happen with “mobile” AMD chips I see no reason why they shouldn’t be preferred over Intel’s in future devices. It’s of course just speculation, but I still think that it would be reasonable to at least consider it.