AIO PC (with external thunderbolt GPU)

I really think EVE could enter the monitor and AIO sector.
monitors and AIO pcs (without the gpu, assuming its a large gpu that wouldn’t fit snuggly if built into the monitor).

In thisthread, in an attempt to make sense of things I used all to many words only to realize what I was asking for was just a retina monitor (which happens to be 4k depending on how far your seated) that can support high hz at lower resolutions.
A 23" monitor at 4k = retina @ 18inches away, in fact im seated 24inches away, this suits my needs.
techwise we are there.

So it occurred to me that running anywhere from anywhere between 1800p to 2000p isn’t or is barely doable on hdmi 2.0 at 100hz.
I didn’t crunch the numbers, but seeing as how the max for 1440p is 144hz
4k @ 2160p can only reach 60hz.
you might be able to get 1800p @100hz

hdmi2.1 and being able to run games at 4k 120hz (<not really needed anyways for gaming retina wise)is still a long way away (especially at affordable costs).

In the mean time using thunderbolt + external gpus could be viable…
For any of this to make sense I need to determine if it is possible to have a 4k monitor with 1 hdmi2.0 cable to run 1440p @144hz stretched?

So if at all possible by mid 2018, there is still a window to market sell a 4k resolution monitor that supports high HZ at lower resolutions and gamers who want high HZ could reach up to 1800p.
In fact this window is pretty large and definitely marketable given that even if we can support 4k@120, its another story to be able to run the games at that resolution.
Running games at this… well forget about it, GPUs aren’t there yet. And many gamers who invested in their GPUs could extend its life by buying the monitor im proposing.

In fact USB 3.2 is 20gb/s which is 2 gb more than HDMI2.0
I think with that extra 2gb you might be able to eek out say an extra 100p over hdmi2.0’s cap. this might allow for 3k @ 100hz which imo is huge.

if you can get gpu with a USB-C (non thunderbolt) port, you could maybe even get 4k @ 65fps.

It’s possible for a USB Type C port to send PCI-E data through the connection.

23" monitor at 4k
ppi for this is: 191.56
The EVE V has 281 PPI.
eve is 12.3 inches. it would take ~5 to fill 23 inch monitor.
but since we need ~190 ppi albeit at 100hz you would be able to produce say three 16inch tiles and squish them together. or 2 tiles or just the one would be ideal.

via USB C 3.2, or thunderbolt (probably overkill imo).

I will not ever buy a 23" AIO.

As for the technical part. I have a feeling that it doesn’t work that way (using USB-C instead of HDMi, and squashing the displays). But I don’t have the experience of knowledge to tell you why.

But I don’t have the experience of knowledge to tell you why.

ya, me either, just going with search engines.
and even if the answer isn’t there if it’s the missing piece, then it’s worth highlighting it and bring the EVE’s attention that this is only thing standing between having an awesome product and that they should see if they can perhaps find a solution.

Example, with regards to squashing and using 1 cable, did a little digging and found this: http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/11
from site:
"DisplayPort 1.2 MST hubs allow for a single cable to connect multiple displays to a single DisplayPort output on an AMD Radeon™ graphics card. "

You could create a hub that ends with USB-C or just go with DP1.4 (Displayport 1.4 = 32.4GB/s)

however it shouldn’t even be necessary when you consider that back in December 6, 2013
msi released a 3k 15.6 inch then, 4 years later with the pace of tech we can probably now get a 23" single unit display at say 3.5k running at 100hz. (still retina at 20" ~3,500x1920)
Going for even higher ppi though might require tiling.

I will not ever buy a 23" AIO.

Even if I was not in the market for a 23" display, I would reconsider if said monitor offered both HZ customization and resolution customization at retina.

a 27 inch could come a little later or on day one. I chose 23 because I was just trying to get as realistic.

While I like the idea, and no doubt it would make for a cool product, there are two significant issues the first being customer demand and thus market viability. The second being cost and thus feasibility.

There isn’t a large market, relatively speaking for aios’s and the market for high end aio’s is even smaller.

The cost of of the product(s) you are proposing will be significant. Also Eve does not yet have the capability to make a bespoke display and I do not think the specific display you are asking for is available ‘off the shelf’ so to speak. Because of the high bill of materials cost this puts significant risk on Eve even if they could secure such a screen.

There have been many other posts around aio’s. Surface studio clones, surface studio monitors, gaming monitors, detachable aio’s and many more.

They were all cool ideas unfortunately the main issue with all of them was market viability and financial feasibility.

answer: Not just AIO, monitor(s) too.
can also cater to barebone AIO market even. expanding your demographic. Can be preassembled or barebone.
Barebone: Apart from just the PSU mobo and CPU (likely sold with), they buy the rest>> many might already have ram or SSD they can use.
(this way it’s high end without the high end cost for some)
GPU is external so the high end portion is questionable. the GPU can be paired with a compatible laptop (even the EVE V if using thunderbolt) (in fact in future there will be plenty of USB C laptops, or if going DP1.4, get DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 Adapter)
The external GPU can be an investment in of itself.

the cost is to be determined, there’s no saying if their partners could make it or not and at what price.

may cost more but you can charge more too.
example 100% value = cost of 1440p (no premium, but no wow factor)
medium to high wow factor (customers who want to experience retina high fps gaming earlier should be prepared to pay a little more upfront), so for first models you can charge more and customers will be pleased because they will get exactly what they pay for.
max wow factor high premium attached<

Demographic in the middle space wowfactor is large.

EVE has to maintain close communication with their part providers. They should always hold discussions on what they can produce/offer next.
EVE has to ask what could be possible if it lines up with a potentially useful product.
Manufacturer says, hey we can now make more ppi or we can get higher hz, see if it is nearly within grasp of desired goals and pursue it until you’re there.

were they breakthroughs though? you need a little more than just “off the shelf” to stand out. when Microsoft makes new product, they most likely worked on in house with close talks with manufacturers to see what was possible in an effort to add stuff totally unique.

I agree, that’s just way too small. With the growing prominence of Ultrawides I think a 30-32" Ultrawide AiO is the way to go.

Guess I must be getting old. Back in my day I remember my first 22" panel I couldn’t of been more stoke/awestruck by it.
Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ Black 22" 5ms 3D Gaming 120 Hz Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20000:1.

for me hitting 22"+ is that sweet spot. I’m mostly concerned with hitting retina and getting the right hz + hz customization.

all this is for EVE and to narrow down and discuss with their display distributor(s), and from their own testing.
If I were EVE I would make 3 or so prototypes maybe look at reviews of panels at given PPIs. Get the input/impressions from as many set of eyes they can. Determine if when stretching a lower resolution onto the full display creates any noticeable distortion.

example the Apple’s 27" monitor hovers around 220ppi retina at 16inch, while in the past a Dell 28" p2815q was retina at 22inches.
Maybe aiming for retina at 18inch away is a good target.

Retina is nice, but is something that I don’t believe should be part of an All in One PC, or at least not yet. High pixel density is great for a standalone monitor, and I can pick size, resolution, contrast ratio, refresh rate, etc. specifically by what I need - for an AiO, you don’t want to run the price up too much just to have a high PPI screen.

Also, in general, there’s still a market surge in ultrawide displays. This also gives a lot more room for cooling and components inside of the computer. The specific image I have in my head is the Omni AiO - looks like a killer machine, but I’m sure it’s also carrying a killer price tag.

I discussed in another thread why you needed retina.
because the content you’d be running (this is for high hz, so for gaming), you would have to stretch a lower resolution onto the screen.
For this stretching to look great if not as good as if it was running natively at any of these resolution all on one monitor, you would need to hit that retina threshold.
(ATM, only the most powerful GPU setup would run a desktop monitor at retina natively). this is for gamers looking to access the resolutions between 1440p and 3k @ between 80 to 100hz, for mid tier+ GPUs.

as for the space u’d get from the ultrawide.
think of the space ud save inside AIO if you had GPU standalone.
maybe they could sell a wall mount arm that can also hold the external GPU.

Holy fuck, guys - do i sound like this guy?