Accessories | Make Spectrum Uniquely Yours

sasocb

Beloved community,

While the team is working hard on completing Spectrum, here’s an update on our progress on the Vinyl skin since our last survey. In this topic, I will take you with us on a journey of inspecting samples, discovering interesting skin possibilities for Spectrum, and helping us decide on its style. On the topic of accessories, we also have a couple of cable questions awaiting your input.

Vinyl skins

We’ve inspected samples from our supplier to check out their skins’ quality and explore possible solutions for Spectrum.

IMG20210105145707
The initial samples involve carbon fiber and color-printed stickers.

We love the sleek appearance and comfortable touch feeling of the carbon fiber. Therefore, we asked the supplier to send over their skin kit, including all of their carbon fiber variants and other aesthetically pleasing plain and mixed color solutions.

P1000809
3M’s unique treatments are embedded in these durable and exciting skin options.

Though we want to offer unique and artful designs, the color-printed vinyl in the first batch of samples was of low quality: the picture is blurry and lines are pixelated. The supplier assures us that it resulted from the low resolution of the source images they used to create the stickers, and that if we provide high-quality pictures, they can produce higher-quality skin samples. We’ve provided a dozen images with high contrast and rich color to produce a run of six samples using their four-color digital print technique. These images eliminate the bottleneck of source picture quality and are intended to put the contrast and color accuracy of their printing technique to the test. This batch of sample skins is on their way to our team now; depending on their quality, we will look into the possibility of working with this supplier on customized skin options. We are aware that many of you are interested in a community contest of Spectrum vinyl skin prints, and we will see what we can do based on our findings.

While we are waiting for the new samples, @Joni is working on a 3D file based on the rear frame and stand, leading the discussion about parts of Spectrum the skin should cover. Our supplier is experimenting with wrapping every part of Spectrum except the panel. This way, we get to know all the parts the skin can cover.

parts
What do you think about green and pink areas?

In the meantime, we are ready to let you choose your favorite style with the skin kit’s help!

Carbon Fiber Black

2080-CFS12

Carbon Fiber Anthracite

2080-CFS201

Carbon Fiber White

2080-CFS10

Carbon Fiber Transparent

8900-CF100

Shadow Black

2080-SB12

Matrix Black

2080-MX12

Gloss Galaxy Black

2080-GP292

Gloss Ember Black

2080-GP282

Satin Frozen Vanilla

2080-SP240

Satin White

2080-S10

Shadow Military Green

2080-SB26

Matte Military Green

2080-M26

Gloss Light Green

2080-G16

Matte Riviera Blue

2080-M67

Matte Orange

2080-M54

Matte Red

2080-M13

Pick your favorite style(s)

• Carbon Fiber Black
  • Carbon Fiber Anthracite
  • Carbon Fiber White
  • Carbon Fiber Transparent
  • Shadow Black
  • Matrix Black
  • Gloss Galaxy Black
  • Gloss Ember Black
  • Satin Frozen Vanilla
  • Satin White
  • Shadow Military Green
  • Matte Military Green
  • Gloss Light Green
  • Matte Riviera Blue
  • Matte Orange
  • Matte Red

0 voters

Cables

Neon red vs. black

Although most Spectrum cables are routed towards the back, Type-C cables are likely in your setup’s front view when you utilize Spectrum’s one-cable solution. Therefore, with our branding in mind it may be an excellent idea to have your Type-C cable be our neon red. It will let it stand out, even as your other black cables neatly blend into the background.

Neon red

What color do you prefer for your Type-C cable?

• I prefer pairing Spectrum with a red Type-C cable.
  • I prefer pairing Spectrum with a black Type-C cable.
  • I have no preference.

0 voters

What color do you prefer for your other cables?

• I prefer the rest of my Spectrum cables to be red.
  • I prefer the rest of my Spectrum cables to be black.
  • I have no preference.
  • Other, I’ll comment below.

0 voters

Our team will soon receive neon red and black cable samples, and we will assess the options we go for based on the quality of their color and with the help of your opinions. Talk soonTM!

nlbanner

13 Likes

How about Forged Carbon vinyl?

12 Likes

Hey, @Ze6rah! I looked it up and it’s a cool suggestion! I’ll bring it to the team.

4 Likes

crazy good thx 4 update

2 Likes

Blue cables as an option instead of red. Personal preference.

8 Likes

Dunno if it’s been discussed before, but I have a load of 90-degree USB-C adaptors which work really well to keep the single-cable solution neat (both on traditional laptops and V/Surface tablets, to run along the side rather than sticking out) - could that be an option for the end of the red/black cable? Obviously people can just use the adapters but it could be even sleeker if it was integrated.

9 Likes

I ordered the Spectrum because of the clean design. Red cables would not look good with the rest om my desk setup, so I would have to get cables from somewhere else if you shipped it with red cables. Therefore I hope you’ll go with black (or white) cables :).

15 Likes

If I was to get a vinyl for my Spectrum. I would also want to cover this area with the same vinyl.

I kinda like the idea of a high resolution Crimson swirl vinyl.

I currently have a USB-Type C red cable. I do like this colour for cables.

5 Likes

Will there be a way to customize and make/order custom vinyl skins? Such as partnering up with Dbrand or something similar? I’d like to get some vinyl skins that are game, esports, or something relating to my other hobbies as well.

6 Likes

I’d love for there to be a beige skin to match my sleeper pc build. Or like @A.J_Stroud mentioned, a way to order a custom skin.

6 Likes

Hey, @vitaminj! Welcome back!

A 90-degree head serves monitors that have back-facing (away from the user) ports pretty well; as you have mentioned, it prevents the cables from sticking out. Because Spectrum has all of its video input ports facing the bottom (toward the desk), cable sticking out is not a concern, and a 90-degree head fixes the cable direction to be back-facing instead. This does not add extra value but limits the cable direction.

Hi, @A.J_Stroud! I’m looking into it and will get back to you later.

6 Likes

I was pretty sure I’d go for the Carbon Fiber skin (either black or clear) - until I saw that Glossy Galaxy Black skin. Oh, man, anything from Hubble telescope / JPL studios and I’m in.

I still voted for the 2 carbon fiber ones I like as well - but stars, man. Stars!

For the green and pink areas - I dunno, seeing as I will be using a VESA mount, I don’t see any reason to have those skinned, personally. but if it can be done easily, I have no problems with it.

I’ve thought about it for a little while now and have probably changed my vote several times.

Part of me wants to vote for red cables, as I never get red cables for anything, so it would not only stand out, but also be a good match for both the Eve logo as well as make it easy to discern which of my myriad of cables came from where.

Part of me says stick to basic black, as that will probably be cheaper in the long run.

None of me wants white cables - they show dirt, grime, and marks too easily, and I don’t even use the white cables for my phones (of course that’s mainly because I buy more heavy duty cables than the thin cables that have come with various phones).

Would it be possible to get black cables with the red inverted delta Eve logo on the cable ends? That might satisfy a lot of people’s desire for bling + be a good bit of sneaky advertising, to boot, while not increasing the overall expense too greatly.

A red cable with a black stylized inverted delta Eve logo would be nice also, if red becomes the color of choice for either / both cables. But I think red logo on black would look exceptionally fine.

6 Likes

Oh no sorry I meant at the other end - just at the laptop/tablet end - to run flat along the desk backwards for a laptop, or down the side to desk level for a tablet.

10 Likes

The way I feel about it is that a red cable is probably the best option because you can always buy a black one separately. The type-c cable is more likely to be seen connected to a tablet or laptop (as it will be for me).

OTOH, I don’t think I’d use a red DVI cable because they’re so chunky and I’d want it to blend in. Still, I could always buy a black one separately (though I have several already).

4 Likes

I’m totally with you there, or maybe something a little artificial like this:

Excellent feedback on the cables. I never really thought about white showing up dirt etc, and I agree that the Eve logo would look great on red cables.

4 Likes

Ahh, I see! It’s a good point worth considering. I’ve bookmarked it.

Hey, @nkyadav! I’ll bring your question to the team and get back to you later. The logo customization you suggested can be a neat detail.

5 Likes

I would love to see some orange in the cables or grey.

5 Likes

I would like the other cables to be two toned - red and black. Since I chose a black-themed vinyl skin and it seems to be leading in the poll a black and red two toned cable would be better than a solid red one. Are these cables double braided type? If not those last longer than the regular plastic ones and dont kink. This should help with durability.

7 Likes

I would love to see more EVE stamped on the product and cables if possible, it’s cool to stand out sometimes. I’m not really a minimalist kind of guy. I want it to stand out and there’s got to be a way for eve to stick out for me. I know it’s a bit off topic but it’s why I loved oneplus phones that red and white cable pattern was so cool and unique and they use it with every phone. Would be cool if Eve done something different so that every time someone would see a Eve product its immediately obvious.

5 Likes

Greetings, @Eric_G!

The cable samples coming our way are not braided. Your suggestion is worth considering; we’ll see what we can do!

5 Likes