Accessories | Help Us Shape The Cleaning Kit

anacb

Beloved community,

We surveyed your interest about the cleaning kit back in July; as one of the high-demand accessories, we proceed to visit cleaning kit suppliers to look into available options. In this topic, we are happy to share our progress so far and ask for your input on several in-depth questions about your use case of the cleaning kit.

In the showroom

IMG20210122130717
We were warmly welcomed by the supplier.

Cleaning kit
These pretty dust blowers also function as roly-polies. You can also spot a carrying case in the frame.

IMG20210122141923
The embossed print option for microfiber clothes is minimalistic and functional. There’s no need for additional material apart from the fabric itself, and the print doesn’t affect the cleaning performance of the fabric.

IMG20210122141424
The edge banding methods not only differ by look but also performance. We learned that laser cutting provides superior endurance to the fabric edge over blade cutting.

IMG20210122152247
We found a refillable design of the cleaning liquid. A user pours liquid from the bigger black bottle into the smaller transparent bottle for use and carrying the liquid around.

After the visit and several discussions through video calls, we have a good idea of our options. Meanwhile, the cleaning kit became one of the most popular items in a second survey that we pushed to customers regarding what accessories they want with their Spectrum. This re-confirms your interest which is why we decided to make an Eve cleaning kit.

What we want to know from you

Let us know your use case, and we’ll customize the cleaning kit to fit it!

Which parts of the monitor do you clean?

You may be interested in cleaning part of the monitor instead of the entire setup. A monitor has its front facing the user; therefore, the front of it may get most of your care when it becomes dusted or stained. This may differ for a monitor in the middle of a room, requiring a clean look from the back. Moreover, you may want to clean the stand and cables in addition to the monitor itself.

A cleaning kit may include dedicated tools for different parts of the monitor; knowing which part of the monitor you’d like to clean will help us pick the tools you’ll use.

How do you clean your monitor?

A microfiber cloth dampened by a spray of cleaning liquid?
Single-use lens wipes?
Dry tissues?
Hot breath and a cotton item (soft towel, T-shirt)? (Thanks, @Smyler316!)
Or…?

There are several kit styles available to us; knowing how you clean your monitor will help us choose the one that fits your habit.

How often do you clean your monitor?

Once a day?
Every couple of weeks?
Twice a year?
Maybe…never?

A cleaning kit offers a limited amount of usage, determined by the volume of liquid or the wipe pieces. Knowing how frequently you clean your monitor will help us pick the right amount so that you only need to pay for what you need.

Do you use one cleaning kit for everything around your desk?

Using a specialized cleaning kit for each type of item may or may not be of your interest. Your answer will help us decide whether to cover other types of products with our cleaning kit.

Do you take your cleaning kit with you?

If you use your cleaning kit just for your monitor, or a couple more devices at home or office, the chances are that it will be stationary most of the time. If you also use it for your portable devices on the go or cleaning your items at another place, you may want to take it with you.

If many would like to take your cleaning kit around, it’s worth it for us to consider adding a neat carrying case or bag to make this easier. Otherwise, we won’t throw something into the mix that will end up lying in a corner unused.

Is the look and feel, or endurance more important to your cleaning kit?

A glass container of the cleaning liquid looks prettier and feels more premium in your hands than a plastic one. However, as a risk of being a small item nearing a gaming monitor, it may easily shatter when being thrown to the screen as an attempt to destroy winning foes. Please pick your goodness: look pretty, or last longer?

What are the essential aspects you are looking for when buying a cleaning kit?

Our senior creator @brightonBreezy pointed out that he values sustainability as much as possible when choosing a cleaning kit and has moved away from plastic products, especially single-use ones. Do you have any requirements that a cleaning kit must meet to become your choice?

What’s next

With your help, we’ll have a deeper understanding of how you use your cleaning kit to narrow down the selection and customize our cleaning kit to be what you need. Let us know what you think in the comments!

nlbanner

19 Likes

I’d really like a basic cleaning kit. I think I must wash my monitor like once a month of so, when it’s dusty. However, I do not think that I need a kit for anything else than the screen itself, I mean the stand is metal so I can just wash it with some basic towel and water so yeah, definitely just the screen. Also the only thing important to me is it’s functionnality, it must be a good product. I don’t mind if it looks good or not, as I’ve said, I’ll use it once a month.

7 Likes

I really like the idea of a cleaning kit for the Spectrum. It’s something that most people don’t consider when purchasing a monitor, but I think it’s very important general maintenance.

The carry case, and the dust blowers look pretty cool. I think depending on how effective the dust blowers are I would probably just use for getting the dirt, and dust out of my keyboard. They would also look pretty cool on the desk. I guess for some people they could also be used for stress relief :joy:.

The branding on the example clothes you’ve shown are probably the best I’ve ever seen when it comes to this kind of product.

I generally use microfibre cloths, for a lot of cleaning purposes: Screens, windows sills, desks, tops of draws etc, but I also use a “glass cloth” for screens, windows, and glass.
These are the ones I use:

Having a cleaning kit just for cleaning screens would be a good idea, because if any residue from any chemicals is left behind on previously used clothes; this could potentially cause an issue. If using some sort of friendly solution I would use one cloth for applying one for drying/polishing.

When I purchase a product like the Spectrum. I intend to look after it, and a clean now, and again goes a long way.

I love the idea of having a big bottle of solution to refill a smaller portable bottle. Very efficient way of doing this. Also leads to less bottles being used in the future, because one would only need to buy refill bottles.

I tend to clean my screens when I do the dusting around the house. This is usually once-twice a week. I would clean the case, and base of the monitor, and the screen itself I would clean as, and when needed (I hate having a dirty screen).

Currently how I clean my monitor I use a slightly damp microfibre cloth, and I would also dry with a separate cloth. If stubborn I would use a mild dish soap solution, and: clean, wring, wipe, and dry.

This would be done 1-2 times a week, or when needed. I will often move my monitor around the house. For gaming in different locations, because of this every time I would at least wipe the screen down (finger prints are frustrating!). Having a cleaning kit would be very helpful to have at hand.

I just use clothes, and cleaning solutions for the desk, and surrounding areas. I can definitely see a benefit to having a cleaning kit! As previously mentioned; I move my monitor around a lot so can see a use for the carry case. On occasion I take my monitor to a friend’s house when gaming competitively. A carry case for some of the essentials would also be taken if I had one. I like the idea of a mini hard plastic brief case style.

I personally would go for endurance, but if something like this is going to “hang around” on the desk, I would like it to look like it’s meant to be there. I do like the idea of the cleaning kit having a premium look, and feel to it though.

My cleaning kit would belong on my desk so I would like it to look the part. I would probably say the container/case that holds all the items should match Eve’s branding, because then it would fit the theme of the monitor, and accessories. Good quality cloths, and tested chemicals to ensure they are safe, but also effective!

I like to have a clean game/workstation. I definitely can see me using an accessory like this.

8 Likes

Off-topic, but @Lore_Wonder your header images are always excellent and this one is simply hilarious. Big smile, well done.

12 Likes

I do indeed, we should all be doing all we can to support sustainability.

But practically, I don’t clean my monitors anything like as often as I should but when I do I favour microfibre + (eco-friendly) spray.

[Edit] …and I should say that I’m talking about the screen surface there. Now and again I shock myself with the state of the rest of the monitor (and, in fact, the rest of my desk) and clean everything. Still with microfibre and spray although if the dust is thick enough I get rid of that first with damp kitchen roll.

8 Likes

Which parts of the monitor do you clean? How do you clean your monitor?
I use a microfiber cloth and Philips screen cleaning solution to clean the screen. For chassis dust, I use a slightly damp paper towel.

Every couple of weeks, and after every spaghetti night. :wink:

Yes and no. I use the same methods for any screen (and eyeglasses), and a warm damp papertowel for everything else on my desk.

No, but having a bag or something to organize related parts is always welcome.

Look and feel is more important than using plastic for endurance, I am in complete control of my emotions while computing.

Must be gentle on the screen, effective at removing dust and spaghetti sauce, spotless drying/minimal streaks, a nice fragrance is a plus.

7 Likes

I’m somewhat of a microfiber enthusiast, if there could be such a thing.

Most microfiber cloths that come with eyeglasses are terrible. They don’t absorb anything. They’re just not good in general.

Good microfiber is very different in performance from cheap microfiber. You want microfiber with a high polyamide content (25-30%), and a high GSM. GSMs around 500 are the softest, and used to apply wax and polish it away on automotive paint in the detailing industry.

I use these cloths on my glasses instead of the stock cloths, since they actually clean and are still very soft. I’ll still prefer to use midgrade cloths over these as well (300gsm or so—still not too harsh, but better cleaning performance) They’re also great on my monitor.

14 Likes

For dust removal, which I do frequently, as dust accumulates relatively easily, I tend to use a Swiffer brand duster (see Shop All Swiffer Dusting Products | Swiffer ) for grabbing dust from all parts of the monitor, including the arms of my dual monitor stand.

For cleaning the viewing surface of the monitors (as well as laptop screens), I used to use a Phillips screen cleaner as well, but mine was running out, so I have recently bought this one to replace it - ColorWay Cleaning Kit Electronics (300ml and microfiber 30x30cm) (CW-5230) | ColorWay (en-US) - works on all my devices, even large (55" and 65") flatscreen TVs. I don’t do this more often than every couple of months, and more often than not, it’s greater than 6 months, as I don’t touch my screens, don’t have any young children, and most of my screens are far away enough from me that I don’t get food splash on them either (except the laptops - they get cleaned about twice as often as all my other screens).

Using the enclosed microfiber cloth, spray a bit of solution on one side of the folded cloth, apply ‘wet’ side to screen and clean in circular motions, then flip to dry side and wipe dry in linear motions.

As noted above - dusted, probably 2-3 times / month, actual viewing screen cleaning once every 3-6 months

For the screens, yes. For dusting, the same duster (with replaceable refills) is used for dusting. For actual cleaning of my desktop / work areas, I use a 10% vinegar solution with a different microfiber cloth.

Never - I bring devices home to clean.

Honestly, performance and endurance first. As it stays at home, I don’t care much what it looks like - just that it works - whether it is new or has been sitting around for a couple of years.

• Product performance, with high quality spray / gel, and a very good microfiber cloth (One product I used has a dual sided microfiber cloth, with one side being more rough, and the other side being a lot more fine and smooth, perfect of cleaning with rough side and drying without streaking with the fine side);
  • Easy ability to wash the towel / cloth after a few uses without any deformation / disintegration of the cloth, and without degrading the performance of the cloth;
  • As eco-friendly of cleaning compound as possible (I Know I haven’t really used eco-friendly, but the one I linked above that I recently bought contains 300 mL of fluid - and I’ve not even used 10 mL out of it lol.

Hope that helps.

5 Likes

for me personally no need for a cleaning kit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I clean mainly my display and bezels

I use 80% isopropylalcohol with microfiber cloth

When its get dirty, circa once in 3 weeks

I have my own kit, its just isopropylalcohol and microfiber cloths. I use it for pretty much everything.

No

Endurance and functionality are most important for me.

4 Likes

Just give us something simple that you know isn’t going to hurt the display.

1 Like

Which parts of the monitor do you clean and how?
the screen and bezel probably once a month or so with a damp e-cloth or a display cleaning cloth. Every now and then (probably every 6 months) I get the duster out and go round the back of the monitor.

Nope, the desk has furniture polish, the leather blotter under the keyboard has a leather cleaner, the mouse and mouse mat I use window cleaner.

Essential aspects - sustainability and no environmental impact where possible.

2 Likes

Only the front (with an special cleaning kit)

microfiber cloth with warm water (cleaning performance not the best)

When it is dirty, once every one to two weeks.
But I’ve got 4 Monitors right now and I will get 3 additional Eve Monitors. → that means a lot of surface area ^^.

Probably not, I am not cleaning anything besides my screen on my desk regularly.

Maybe between rooms, but for that I do not need a special bag.

I definitely prefer the premium look and feel over it being shatterproof.
Also Eve has a pretty premium branding.

As long as it cleans my screens, does not scratch them and has a premium look and fell I am cool with anything (:

4 Likes

My monitor stand is probably cleaned once a week by my cleaner, the screen I clean up maybe once a month, if I notice that it’s dirty. I always use a regular microfiber cloth. Rarely, if ever do I use any cleaning solution. I do breath on it if some dirt doesn’t come loose.

2 Likes

usually screen only, sometimes the top edge and footstand, once a few yrs the back and cables

For dry dust, gas spray is used to blow em off.
For fingerprint and so on, I wipe the screen with microfibre cloth for glasses (often provided for free with smth like glasses, cellular, and monitor. Yes, the protect glass for V2017 was with it, too). First wettened with the pure water, followed by dry wiping (total 2).
If the screen protector film or glass is installed, any cloth incl’ T-shirt is welcome.

Whenever I see something on it. Maybe once a week

To clean the desk, wet paper is used. 7-11 gives the customer a free piece of wet paper for purchase of lunch box. It appears a piece of thick paper wettened with water, small amount of detergent, and ethanol. It is like a paper finger wipe served with meal in the aeroplane.

No, but not because I wear a T-shirt. I have V2017 as mobile screen and protect glass is installed, which accept wet/dry fine/not-so-fine paper/cloth wiper. Recently paper towel and alcohol are available everywhere.

endurance vs price > feel > look

As fine and soft as possible. No microscratch!

Does this answer?

5 Likes

The best microfiber towels are perfect for cleaning the monitors. I typically use the ones I buy to apply wax to my cars. They work best and are super absorbent. The ones with no sewn on borders are also preferred as they don’t scratch the surface of the car or monitor. Also they work nicely for just dusting the top and back of the monitor. The cleaning solution I currently buy has some alcohol content but in a pinch you can use plain water to dampen the cloth. Just doesn’t dry as quickly. One other thing that would help is some kind of small brush for cleaning corners where the screen and frame come together. I again have some brushes I use on my cars to clean vents and such. They work very well. Typically clean the monitor every two the three weeks or when its showing a bit of dust.

3 Likes

I use the same towels for cleaning my glasses for my Monitor, once a Month with water . Needful would be a dust cover for the spectrum. I use one already on my current Monitor and so i dont have to clean it often

2 Likes

Every couple of weeks.

I usually just dust everything off with a microfiber cloth.

No

Endurance is more important to me. My cleaning supplies are kept in a drawer or in my closet so looks are not a factor.

Sustainability is important. I would prefer to keep away from single use items and try to use reusable/multi-purpose items as much as possible. Minimalism is also important to me. I don’t need anything flashy and try to keep items to as few as possible. Those dust blowers look pretty neat, especially with a carry case. If the case will contain all cleaning supplies then even better!

2 Likes

I feel like I don’t clean my monitors as much as I should, though our dog does manage to flick drool on them which necessitates cleaning. If that’s dried on it can be really tricky to clean while not scratching at all. I feel like the frame, back, cables, and stand don’t require special cleaning kit but the screen itself I’d like something for. The other thing I could use a cleaning tool for is my keyboard - the blowers may help there, or maybe a soft brush to get between the keys.

Currently I’ll use a duster for getting dust off, or a slightly damp paper towel for muck on the screen.

My cleaning kit will stay in one place.

Your question about look vs longevity confuses me as I’d expect glass to last longer as well as looking and feeling better.

3 Likes

Which parts of the monitor do you clean? How do you clean your monitor?
I don’t clean my monitor since it’s too fragile(it’s a soft texture), I’m afraid of making scratches on the non-touchable plastic screen.
But the New Eve V is a 4K glass screen, I think I would find a plastic or glass screen protector and just use typical tissue and water to clean it.

3 Likes