A realistic approach to a perfect tablet and pen for drawing! Share your thoughts!

Hello everybody! It’s nice to see the community is well and alive. I was thinking to myself why in the Windows tablet market, there is no near perfect drawing tablet solution.
Surface pro for instance:

• has issues on parallax
  • It’s not exactly accurate
  • its tilt support is not like a real pencil
  • its nib break easily.

I always thought iPad pro was useless until I tried one. One of my friends brought one home and I was bored so I asked him if I could use it and he said yes. So I used the pen and in a moment, and my whole opinion on it had changed ! You have to experience it yourself !!! It’s so smooth and responsive, It’s like a pencil ! You can shade on it and the tilt support is awesome. It’s not flawless, for instance, it doesn’t have any pointer unlike Wacom or Surface products, but it’s very enjoyable to write on. The newest iteration that I did not try is more pencil like and does not require a battery. It connects magnetically and charges, it’s what Surface pro did except it doesn’t charge.

I was thinking to myself, if there would be a way to run Windows on this device either through screen mirror or emulation ( mirroring is unresponsive I believe, not sure though and emulation is just not available ).

The thing is, iPad pro has a lot of pros

• it has a perfect camera for a tablet
  • it’s a nearly perfect writing device (If they add more buttons, eraser and a pointer plus reduce the price, I wouldn’t have any more ideas on how they can improve it later on)
  • its screen is way better than any tablet on the market (120 Hz !!!)
  • it’s very portable (They’ve managed to decrease the thickness, don’t know how)
  • it has way better speakers than tablet on the market
    -it has a huge amount of battery and
  • it packs a lot of power (That has room for debate)
  • good price considering Wacom and other tablets

The thing is, even though it’s almost best in these categories, the cons are almost unbearable. They somehow managed to have the perfect balance between the best and worst.

• No software (Even if it has, it’s subscription based in which I despise)
  • No proper keyboard and mouse !!! (A huge disappointment, the keyboard is a joke)
  • No ports (Another huge rip off)
  • IOS (Multitasking … )

OK, I said all of these, now my question is why there is no Windows tablet laptop maker that has drawing capabilities like IPad pro, is that hard to make? Is there any limitations? Why companies like HP can’t just mimic the pencil nib or technology. More importantly, why the don’t have any 120 Hz screen?

I don’t want to be annoying, your new projects seem very interesting, but I like to talk about tablets, so I say in the future, if Eve wanted to release a near perfect V2 and be realistic, I would say it has to have these :

• Intel Ice lake U, 3D stacked chip
  • Intel 11th generation integrated graphics
  • At least 8 hours of battery
  • A decent speaker
  • Camera doesn’t matter
  • Personally I don’t care for the bezels, but for more sales you can include it, people like gimmicks
  • A 120 Hz screen important!!!
  • A 80$ Apple pencil with eraser, wireless charging and more pencil like shape plus two buttons
  • A little bit less than QHD resolution
  • Stand is not necessary if you can pack more battery ( Community decides )
  • Keyboard is good enough
  • On time delivery !
  • You can support USB 4 standard
  • Maybe the support for 3D Xpoint feature, non-volatile RAM ( Not sure if it comes as promised )
  • DDR5 RAM

I try to be realistic, DDR5 RAM and all of these technologies should be available until 2020, not sure though, it depends on the companies (Still remember Cannon-Lake). Share your thoughts please !!!

One more thing, you should have Micro-SD and optional 5G plus a better modem.

3 Likes

Sorry to be a let down, but this isn’t very realistic :confused:

I agree that having a better pen tech on an a hypothetical V2 would be amazing. And I applaud Apple for making the technology for their iPad Pros, but it is wholly unfeasible for Eve, being a small hardware company, to undergo the R&D necessary to create pen tech which can compete with the many billion dollar huge business which is Apple.

As for why this tech isn’t available for Windows devices is simply that Apple has patented their solution. Almost all modern pen enabled devices use the N-Trig protocol, and it’ll require a new actor on the market with proper industry support for a new technology to become the norm. Like Microsoft going for a new company for their Surface devices, but seeing as they bought N-Trig that’s very unlikely. Or for N-Trig to improve their tech. Which they’re doing, with the new SP6 pen which supports tilt.

I don’t want a 120Hz screen simply because it’ll most definitely cause a higher power drain, and I really don’t think the difference is that big unless you’re a gamer. In addition it’ll be a pain in the ass to source a high DPI, 120Hz screen. Apple can do it because they’re so large.

We’re better off waiting until one of the larger actors come through with these improvements.

2 Likes

Yeah I have noticed midway writing it, EVE V is not big enough to do it, I wish somebody to do it. Also if Apple has patented their tech, why can’t others pay the royalties? what about Wacom tech? Can’t everyone else use their tech ?
The part that I disagree with your statement is that the difference is not big enough. You have to try it yourself, it’s so smooth, feels like no latency. As for the higher power drain, I don’t think it affects the device since it’s supposed to be adaptive. It changes depending on the situation. Also the new architectures bring better efficiency, including that 1 watt Intel display technology. I saw one article, check it out. Looks like Microsoft is already working on something.

Yes I agree with you, I sometimes don’t notice the line between realistic and unrealistic wishes. :confused:

0 Likes

I’m sorry but I honestly can’t take this post seriously…

is untested and purely hypothetical tech, there is no way to know if this is even good or not, yet you put it on the top of your requirements. Same with your non-volatile RAM and DDR5 RAM.

Also, iOS has some of the best optimized software for an pencil device since it’s build in the OS and build around that. One of the top apps for designers on the iPad is Procreate which is a one-time payment of 10 bucks, even though I’d prefer a yearly fee to ensure their existence. You can connect any keyboard you want on it via BT.

For future posts such as this I recommend focusing on concepts more then specifics. There are exceptions, such as the 120Hz screen which has some real-world examples and has proven to increase the usability. Though even with that there are drawbacks (power consumption, that is why the 120Hz screen isn’t across the entire OS in iOS).

2 Likes

There are a bunch leaks for the Intel 11th Generation integrated graphics, and Ice Lake is basically the next generation CPU, I mean every manufacturer puts the next Generation CPU and Integrated GPU in their products. The same thing can be said about DDR5 RAM, it’s a new gen tech ( While I’m not sure if it will be widely available in 2020) and manufacturers will use it, I hope they do meet their release date. So, I don’t think just because it is an unreleased tech, I can’t put it in my list.

iPad’s keyboard is horrible and junk. It worth’s 20 dollars at best. It has no trackpad and lacks software. Of course there is Procreate, but you don’t have the freedom to choose the old and matured softwares such as Coral Draw or the Illustrator, they might come at one point, but when they come, either companies changed them significantly, or, they are subscription based that you can’t own the software and IOS makes this phenomenon more annoying. I don’t like to have 10 subscription accounts for everything. even Final Cut Pro requires subscription. iPad Pro is a good toy for now though.

You don’t need to make everything refresh 120 times per sec. There are laptops with 120 Hz screen, but not with pen or touch enabled screen.

0 Likes

Not always intel’s offering. You’re putting it at the very top of your list of requirements while 0 information is available, except for some leaks which tell you nothing about the performance. If you stated “latest CPU and low power graphics” it would’ve been a whole different story but you identified it with a product range that doesn’t exist yet. How about AMD? How about Qualcomm, maybe Google or Amazon suddenly surprises us with a new chip, or Samsung Exynos could be amazing for all we know. That’s the issue I have with your requirements. They are so specific for no real reason. The idea behind them isn’t bad, but the solution isn’t even available.

Also, DDR5 RAM isn’t really something we can decide. It’s whatever the chipset supports. If it decides it requires HBM, then we go that way. If it stays at DDR4, then DDR4 it is, etc.

Adobe, quite recently, have announced that the the full desktop photoshop will ship to iOS. Though, yes with an subscription service. But that’s the same on desktop and is a whole other discussion.

2 Likes

When I say Intel’s Ice lake CPU, it means the next CPU generation, that’s common sense. Also you say zero information available, right? I disagree, you can’t just use an absolute word like this.

We know this chip is going to be available for portable devices for sure. It’s the next generation CPU of Intel with refined 10nm architecture. That does not seem 0 information to me. I also said that it should have 11th gen integrated graphics, that normally comes with the CPU since it is an integrated graphics. Common sense.
Why not AMD, Qualcomm, Amazon, Google or Exynos? Is that even a question? Lets just put aside Google and Amazon, they can’t just suddenly appear out of nowhere without any base, establishment or plan to produce CPUs for desktops. They need to research, plan, market and mass produce their chips. Why not Qualcomm? Because of Arm’s compatibility and stability issues on Windows. Companies won’t use it for their flagship devices for now, also their next chip has been announced, we know what’s going to come. Don’t talk about Exynos, they have to overcome Qualcomm first. AMD’s offerings lack the battery efficiency for tablet laptops and they can hardly penetrate the market. Intel is the most guaranteed choice for EVE.

I’m not sure about DDR5 availability for tablets, I know that they might release it in 2020, so I won’t say anything about it.

I know about Adobe Photoshop’s future release on iPad, but it’s not the same as the desktop version. If I use the same approach as you, I would say you can’t say it’s the full Photoshop experience when it’s not even released. Unlike the company’s pitch it will not have every feature the first day and the iPad keyboard is also garbage. So don’t be too picky on words.Also I did not say that only EVE should make a tablet like this, I said the near perfect all around Windows Tablet + drawing would have these options. That’s why it’s not int the next EVE V tag.

0 Likes

You make to much assumptions about future products.

1 Like

Specifically Apple can afford to use a 120 Hz high refresh rate screen because they’ve built in a timing controller that allows variable refresh rate (for an example, the controller would lower the refresh rate to 24 Hz when watching a movie).

3 Likes

This is quite unrealistic. DDR5 isn’t even on Intel’s HEDT and/or server platforms, let alone consumer notebooks and tablets.

1 Like

Yeah, I said I don’t know about DDR5 so I got my words back,

0 Likes

To make most out of the drawing experience on tablets, both drawing tools and software are equally important.

I am a current Surface Pro 6 user but the first time I drew on a tablet is actually on the iPad 2 with fingertips. When “Draw something” was still a thing. At the very beginning I dislike drawing on tablets with fingertips because it was not accurate at all. The learning curve is steep but once I got used to it, drawing on tablets is actually fun. People who complain on styluses usually haven’t spend enough time to learn using it. (yet to find out the “sweet spot”)
No drawing tool is terrible, Apple pencil, surface pen, Logitech crayon…they are all decent stuffs. Patience is essential when drawing on tablets. Apple pencil stands out because the learning curve is not as steep. You can just grab one and start drawing

And the apps I use change the whole experience. Some apps just don’t make sense with me but my friend get addicted to it. Thus, it really depends on what program you are comfortable with.

The same thing happen to the drawing tools. Some artists prefer surface pen the other might say Apple pencil. I used both and here’s a brief comparison:

Apple pencil has less input lag so you feel like you can draw very smoothly with 120 Hz refresh rate on the iPad pro.

Pressure sensitivity is also impressive so you can simulate different brush strokes.

But it’s too long and slippery to hold for hours but for a 15-minute quick sketch, this is awesome.

Surface pen on the other side, input isn’t as smooth and precise as its counterpart
but it doesn’t mean you can’t drawing great pictures with it, you just need to spend more time to get use to it and find a program that suits your needs , the pen is still very capable.

The eraser is hard to forget, easy to miss.

It’s so much easier to hold for long time, I often use the surface pen for note taking, drawing diagrams or as a highlighter.

With the pen, you can quick-start the program you like, take screenshots and add notes on it, control Powerpoint slides,etc. It can do so much more than writing and drawing.

I hope Eve can make a smart pen with the pros of both.

4 Likes