A new star showing on the horizon?

Many many years ago I was lucky to meet Conrad Zuse in person and listen to what he told to us.
Today I feel a bit like standing at the cradle of a new chapter in computing… if all happens well!
Why shouldn’t it?
Thanks to all involved in the V Story.

I would be interested in how many people actually can connect Konrad Zuse to what we do here… the name is not widely known, even though it was the beginning of it all. I was fortunate enough to grow up where he spent the last 30 years of his life, having multiple encounters to get a glimpse on visions of this brilliant person.

Yes, I also know his works for IT. :smiley:

It WAS the beginning of it all. Relais. Vacuum Tubes. Tabulator machines. Punched Cards. Water cooled machines.
exilpho, surely I share your interest. For me it was only yesterday, for most of you it is the start (yes, it’s only just begun) into a new aera.

Has anybody ever coded in assembler? RPG? Cobol, Fortran, PL/1?
Be happy, if you hadn’t. :wink:

Oh yes I remember pain with my apprenticeship. After that I never needed it again. :grin:

Here’s a moment on memory lane. The first programming classes I took taught Cobol and Fortran. Every class after that was C development on unix. I’m with you…be happy if you never had to do Cobol/Fortran.

Deep in my memories (nightmares) are ALGOL, FORTRAN and PL/1 - old Wang computers and other stuff …

Good to know there are other old people on here! hah. My first programming was in basic - on my trs80 with 4 K of ram that my dad upgraded all the way to 32K! I still have that machine upstairs - just need to track down an old school tape player so I can load all my games up! hah. Those were the days! Hours spent playing pacman, donkey kong, zaxxon, all the classics! Cload FTW!

edit - I still have the muscle memory and NEVER hold shift down and hit backspace. It would delete the whole line! (and no undo!) haha

OK, going even further back, huh? You’re right. Long before college classes with Fortran and Cobol was sitting in front of my dad’s IBM PC XT “programing” (playing) with basic. I started learning how to write .bat files, too. That’s how I discovered that the guy who sold my dad his computer had cheated him. It was a base PC model not a PC XT - the guy had just written a simple batch file that ran at startup to display PC XT so he could charge more.

Yes BASIC and batch files on DOS … Games loaded from cassette recorder. Then came the first Intel PC 286 with 45MB (Not GB!) Seagate HDD and the first viruses. What a time! Yeah!
It’s nice to be part of the EVE community! THANK YOU!

hah yeah, we eventually upgraded to an 8086 and then to a 286, which I took to university with me to study comp sci. I loved DOS so much, when I was working at EA and we upgraded to Windows, I refused to upgrade for the longest time. I was (by far) the last artist still using DOS at EA. I finally caved when software we were using stopped supporting it.

Such an old fart.

Oh yeah, High School with assembler (i liked it btw quite a lot, but was a minority already then :smiley: ) And then Basic on my 8bit Atari and Pascal and so on.

Does anyone remember the digital 8 pin monitors (usually EGA)? Or the hard drive park utility? Or the super cool DOS enhancement softwares there were like GEM = windows before windows :slight_smile: The silly big centronics connector, memory upgrade done through chips :stuck_out_tongue: Numerical co-processor on separate chips, the turbo button, the legendary Sound Blaster 32, 3D enhancer cards, the super heavy but indestructible IBM PS/2 mechanical keyboard, first CD burners the size of a desktop PC. Win 95 and countless BSODs, Alta Vista, Lycos, … what a journey :smiley:

And ZX Spectrum 64 connected to TV and cassette player for programs (Magic Miner).
Switching IRQs and modifying loading files to free some bytes of RAM …

… 8087 CoPro and self-soldered D/A converter at parallel port for better sound before the SoundBlaster32 existed. Cool memories.

I’d forgotten so much of that, but everything you listed pinged a bunch of memories. You did forget the old floppy drives 5 1/4 and 3 1/2. Good games came on 5-10 floppies. And then the first iterations of the internet - Gopher was around when I was in college. Our CS department would give extra credit for completing Gopher scavenger hunts. Of course before that were the bulletin board services. And I remember the first time I heard whispers of Mosaic, the magical graphical browser for the internet.

Floppy drives 5 1/4 am 3 1/2 are for kids - old men used 8 inch ones.

Oh and all the mods and overclocking and improvising, once the power management controller on my mobo died, i managed to workaround by getting a regular switch replacing the power button and soldering to the power on signal of the PSU. I too once got no power and thought thats it, i gave it a try with no hope to look for blown electrolytes on the mobo and found an apparently cracked SMD resistor, soldered a new on top of it and surprise surprise all worked as new.
I think i still have somewhere a heavilly modded Nvidia card that had huge heatsinks added and a 120 mm fan :stuck_out_tongue:

We even had a project with a couple of buddies in high school to build a cryo cooling solution (remember those companies that attempted to do it professionally for totally ridiculous prices?), with full electronics to deal with the system cooling down the fluid first and then powering up and handling fallback to cover for pump, compressor outage etc… The entire thing alone was projected to be placed into an old tower from an oscilloscope.
We did not finish the compressor circuit due to lack of funding, but i was running the fluid cooling for quite some time :smiley:
Odd thing i remember is, that the 100 MHz FSB celeron apparently after some time got used to run overclocked at 112 MHz, and i always got HW related bluescreens when settings were reset, even when running a fresh install.

I wish i had so much time and the will and dedication as back then :smiley:

Seems like you grew up near my hometown.
My programming professor met Konrad Zuse and works in the museum in the town he died.

let’s go back to Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage?