So I was replying to the “A Year in Review” topic, and it got me thinking about what the next Eve project could be. I realize there is already an Eve Phone thread, but thought that this could be slightly different.
What if Eve and the Eve Community designed a modular phone device?
What is a “modular phone” you may ask?
Well, I’m thinking about a new category-creating device, where components could be swapped out (similar to Google’s Project Ara), while containing the components for Microsoft’s Continuum feature (or similar to the recently announced Samsung Galaxy S8 docking feature) , so that it could be docked to a tablet body or in a docking station, and used as a desktop replacement when needed.
- I also imagine where you could choose whatever camera sensor you want by just swapping the parts out, so it could be 8 megapixels, 20mp, or 41 mp+ and up!
- You could choose to have Qi charging or maybe no wireless charging at all, to keep the cost of the device down.
- I would imagine replaceable battery would be a must.
- A possible choice could be a replaceable shell with choices of polycarbonate, metal, or wood.
- One of the options could even include a headphone jack module, for those of us who still deem this as necessary in a mobile device.
I’m just throwing ideas out there, but I am curious to hear Eve Community’s thoughts on this one!
I originally came across this idea because I realized how many of us in the community are into making our devices “uniquely our own”, whether that involves building our own gaming PC, installing Linux on a PC, or just having a distinct “flavor” of Android on a phone.
We all have unique tastes in electronics, and personally, I don’t feel that the smartphone world has realized that the past 3-4 years.