A deeper look at our new Eve V

I think the existing device closest to a perfect 2in1 is the Thinkpad X1 tablet evo. See if you guys can take that, throw in ice lake processors, wifi 6, bluetooth 5, a usb type-a port and cooling design similar to that of the XPS13 9300.

Screen size

As a programmer and someone that reads academic papers as part of my job, I need a 15" screen size or greater.

For me as an easy to carry around option I would like to have more battery life than my current V has. Around 4 hours isn’t cutting it for a full day of use while many brands can offer double the battery without the need to use Y-series processors.

If all day battery isn’t a achievable then I would like to see more powerful V2 with more cores better integrated gpu. AMD offerings could have some solid options there. Not sure if fanless design would be achieved going this route though.

I absolutely agree! I’d love to see a 13 inch screen with smaller bezels. In terms of form factor the Surface Pro X is near perfect. From there on I’ll be happy to sacrifice some weight to gain a good x64 performance to battery life ratio …

2 Likes

Honestly the cooling issue should only matter on this device if you are going to put a U class processor, or an AMD mobile with the Vega capability for graphics. The original V is nice, but I use an EGPU if I am going to do anything more than word processing, or content consumtion.

1 Like

What about a fanless-fan option? Should electrostatic fluid accelerator be considered as new fan technology? A fan without a mechanical moving part.
I’m not sure if it is usable in the case of a 2-in-1. However, for example, if two of these accelerators are placed on both sides (one to suck in the air and the other one to push it out) and that without any noise, would be pretty cool, wouldn’t it?
Having more power on a portable device is always welcoming to me as a developer…

6 Likes

For me, it’s more important for my cpu to be cooled as best as possible above slim factor. I compose using MuseScore and Ableton, both of which can be CPU-intensive at times, and can result in playback stutter (especially MuseScore). Another thing to note (which I think should’ve been mentioned in your fan/no fan section) is that if the device is upgrade-ready, if we ever want to change out the battery, graphics etc., then proper care of the fan and any dust shouldn’t be too much an issue - especially since the ports are still going to be susceptible to dust build-up anyway. I also know that, at least from my experience, it’s very easy to reach 100% cpu usage in a short amount of time, if not Immediately. That’s just my few cents, though.

2 Likes

I think this might be what the community might want the new Eve V to look like:

or alternatively: Eve V 2.0 Concept Design

What are your thoughts on this design?

I wonder if I could get feedback from someone like @Konstantinos

1 Like

Big bezels would be a dealbreaker for me as well. Something like the Pro X, or even better, tab S6, would be great

1 Like

I would like a bigger screen. What are the exact reasons a bigger screen does not seem viable?

both not true for me :slight_smile:
I would rather buy a more portable Eve V 360° laptop… only HP does them anymore (and don’t like HP)…

1 Like

One thing I’d love to see, but admittedly it’s a personal desire, is the elimination of the “windows” key for a “super” key or something else, maybe even just a company logo. I know this is probably something that just comes down to selling a laptop with Windows preinstalled and some part of a contract somewhere, but as a person who lives in Linux distributions 95% of the time I’m just SICK of that logo being on every machine I own. Sure, there are Linux computer distributors out there who don’t have it, but often their machines are far overpriced compared to if I bought them from a different distributor, and I don’t want to pay a steep tax for a free OS and no Windows Key on my keyboard.

Maybe a choice in Keyboard options for those of us that use linux? Or even an option to have a linux distribution preinstalled, similar to Dell Developer machines?

3 Likes

Simply wouldn’t buy any passively cooling device because it is not able to replace a laptop like my Surface Pro i7 does.
The arguments about battery life and noise are easily resolved by undervolting and using lower frequencies power modes.
The arguments about weight and moving parts - come on guys, look at Surfaces or any other ordinary laptops: usually fans are not making any issues comparing to other hardware and software failures. And you will probably break your screen 10 times before fan will start to show signs of wear.
Better make it easy to disassemble and clean or fix the fan instead of removing it from device.

Two comments,

I ruled out the previous V(1) due to the negative reviews of Pen, this time it has to be as good as Wacom or Apple pencil, the game has moved on and expectations are sky high.

On a different tack, the development of the V(2) at the same time as the monitor development must present opportunity for paperless workflow, maybe subject for a different forum but to get the ball rolling how about

1. Having the V(2) keyboard working to the monitor via bluetooth or cable.

2. Have the V(2) tablet and pen act as a wacom type tablet (using windows mirroring or other) to replicate content on monitor so as to make notes, highlight etc.

3. Open to the floor here, Paperless workflow is a blank slate and this combination of devices must throw up potential solutions.

6 Likes

Since its, a portable light device passive is probably the way to go but u guys will have to let go of performance for that few points-

1. U should probably look into new AMD CPU solutions for laptops their APU are good too since they are already on 7nm manufacturing so their CPU are more energy-efficient so less energy for more performance and less energy means less heat
  2. even if u let go off fans u will need a good heatsink and heat pipes to control the heat so weight increases even more because of metal which will be significantly more compared to a plastic fan.
  3. heat is a big challenge so in laptops design is a very big part if u can design and integrate the heatsink in the chassis of the laptop it will probably be the way to go, but its hard apple laptops are notorious because of this they are made on passive cooling and almost always run very hot which give less performance, stability, shorter component life.hotter laptop etc
  4. Modular easy to open-one way to go is high-quality thermal-paste. there are many examples where simply changing the laptops thermal-paste to a good one results in very good temp differences but these good ones almost always come with the problem of shorter life span and a little expensive than pastes which will probably last a lifetime so if u can give solution to periodically change the paste easily u can provide higher quality paste.

now to out-there ideas

1. liquid metal thermal paste - many people have applied these to their laptops and got temp differences of more than 20 degrees. but it comes with significant cons mainly 3-

A. its electro-conductive so if it goes somewhere it shouldn’t whole laptop fries.

B. it leaches into other metals so things like aluminium will melt with prolonged exposure to it, mostly all metals will depend on the metal how fast.

C. this one is related to 2nd point since the liquid metal is leeched into the metal plate it disappears over time so it needs to be replaced regularly.

My thinking if u can make a laptop cooling system which has modular CPU/GPU heatsink which directly sits on the die the heatsink can be changed after every few Re-pastes change like once in 3 years and paste can be changed every few months like every 4 months. and u can do the extra protection on the CPU and GPU for electro-conductivity and people can get higher processors but they have to do the extra work of repasting every few months and heatsink replacement every few years but if they don’t want high processors u guys can just put normal thermal paste.

1. www.icegiantcooling.com they are a company who have made an air cooling solution which has the equal performance to Water cooling. Linus video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M13dWRL9qkc&feature=emb_title about their upcoming product. so if they can get water cooling performance from an aluminium air cooler on a threadripper maybe they can build a passive system for laptops using their tech which uses gravity and since laptop mostly is used upright I don’t see the Downside asking them maybe they already are working on something for the laptop market.

look there are some out there ideas here I have talked about so whoever reads this please don’t reply immediately think for 24 hours before replying to give your imagination time to run wild like I have let my imagination run wild in this post, I don’t know if any of these things are possible or not.

1 Like

Can confirm this. I’ve been running a Dell Latitude 2-in-1 (basically a Surface Pro clone of theirs) and this device hasn’t ever gotten too hot for me to hold. On top of that I’m able to push some serious performance out of it, even run some older games despite not having a GPU of any kind. 8th Gen Intel i7 U-Series processor, fan cooled. Also never has gotten so loud it’s annoyed me, I can hardly hear the fans in this thing at all unless the room around me is close to silent.

Everyone says they want to the bezel less.
However ,Where should I hold when in tablet mode?
About 6-7inch smartphone can be sandwiched from both sides by my finger, but a 12-inch EVE V is impossible.
Are everyone big hands?

Also, there are many important operations of “windows10” on the edge of screen, and when operating with a pen ,the bare edge is very difficult for me to input.

I know thick bezel is not what most people want, but please understand that a thick bezel may be required.

If V2 adopts bezel less LCD,In tablet mode,Please I want blackout the edge area about 10-20mm and disable touch input.

4 Likes

I love my V and use it all the time but I dont think I’d get gen 2 if it isn’t

1. more powerful
  2. have significantly better pen input
    -Like iPad level is my requirement.

That’s why I keep pushing the Surface Book form factor, because it can deliver power and be portable.

I want Eve to innovate a gen 2 that is fanless (ideally) and has drastically more power without throttling.
I want Eve to innovate a smart hinge that allows us to have a strong GPU in the keyboard and be durable and be detachable.

7 Likes

New V should have:

• four front firing speakers in position like those two on surface pro.
  • AMP that will work, simple as that
  • no more buzzing on charging and this weird tickling on back of the device
  • 2,5D display to look amazing
  • good quality portable keyboard that will no scratch on display!
  • soften, ronded edges on kickstand, I cut myself twice
  • more horse power with maybe 1-2G graphic card
  • alternative keyboard that will work as in surface book, without using kickstand
  • 400$ to pay for it for those that was affected with old V (Konsta said someday ago, that this is very good idea, but there was no price range). FREE ONE for those that payed and never got their device!
1 Like

First of all, for the love of all things holy, no AMD procs in the Eve V2, complete show stopper. Yes they’re killing it in the desktop and server processor space but they’re not even remotely close in the mobile processor space.

Secondly if an i7 thermally throttles all the time, it’s completely worthless and you may as well get an i5 or less. It’s like buying a Ferrari and then being limited to 3000rpm and third gear, i.e. completely pointless. Put a fan in the i7 and use a proper processor like the i7-1065G7 or 1068G7 but ideally, since you seem to be talking about TB4, that you’re referring to a Tiger Lake Intel proc which should have the new Intel Xe “Gen 12” iGPU and that would be great. Make sure there’s a 32GB of RAM option as well, 8/16/32GB should be the options these days, forget 4GB and don’t limit to 16GB. Up to you on storage, just make sure it’s full NVMe, 512GB would be nice, 1TB would be blown away.

As for ports, two USB-C TB3/4 one with PD but here’s the key, put them on the same side and right next to each other, but each with their own PCIe Gen 3/4 lanes so they do not share any bandwidth at all and both can run at maximum rate (40Gbps). The reason for this is those that want to run eGPU docks without experiencing any slow downs while also using 1Gb/10Gb Ethernet and various other USB devices.

Then, as another revenue stream, make an “eGPU dock” that has two separate USB-C TB3/4 connections (for a total of 2x40Gbps dedicated bandwidth) that bridge to two separate PCIe slots, one bus for a GPU of the user’s choice and another bus with a USB hub, another PCIe slot, again of the user’s choice and a 3.5" SATA or NVMe drive bay. Me personally I’m throwing a 10Gb NIC in there and a 12TB HDD. Of course one of these USB-C connections to the dock will power the Eve V2. Obviously those two USB-C ports on the Eve V2 will be great for connecting two high res displays directly to the Eve V2 itself.

USB-A if you must but the use cases are shrinking already and by the time this is released, it may be long since defunct, not a show stopper for me if it doesn’t have it. That being said, 3.5mm audio jack, please… BT5.2, WiFi6 and a full size SD card slot, may as well make it SDUX since I doubt the cost difference would be that high.

Now, as for the display… I cannot stress this enough… NO MORE THAN 1080P… please… seriously, 1920x1200 at the most. It doesn’t need anything more, really. Especially not on a 12" device and especially running on the iGPU. Anything higher is just going to be an unnecessary source of battery drain and won’t gain you anything.

I can already feel the heat from people complaining that the display res should be higher… But there’s a reason why the Dell XPS 13 has a 1920x1200 res on a 13.4" display (yes it has a 4k option but anyone smart never options it with that) and if people are happy with 1920x1200 on a 13.4 display, they’ll be happier with it on a display 1.4" smaller and speaking of the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, oh look, the specs discussed so far (i7-1065G7, 2xUSB-C TB3 w/PD, 3.5mm audio jack and uSD card slot) match exactly that of the XPS 13 2-in-1, there’s a reason for that and why I and many others will be cross shopping these provided the specs are there.

Think of the device having two personalities:

• Lightweight and portable on its “feet” (on battery). It should be very energy saving and have the longest possible battery life, using the iGPU and throttling the CPU if necessary and barely running the fan, on that 1920x1200 display.

• Power house on the desk (plugged in). Connected to an eGPU it becomes a very formidable workstation. I sit down, connect my Eve V2 with the bundled 2xTB3/4 connectors to the Eve eGPU/dock that’s connected to my (high resolution) Eve Spectrum displays, Eve keyboard and I put on my Eve Muse headphones. The i7 ramps up the fan when necessary because now I have to the power on tap to use very heavy weight applications such as video editors or 3D creation.

A lot of tablet creators often get this concept wrong, they either over power the tablet with high res displays, and dGPUs or stifle its ability to become a power house when docked (looking at you Surface Pro 7 that STILL doesn’t have TB3). When I’m on my feet, I’m not likely doing stuff that requires a massive amount of power (though you can ramp the processor to max performance still if needed) and when I’m sat at my desk, I want to connect one cable and have all the power and all my peripherals connected in one go, but the key is to bundle two entirely separate, full dedicated 2x40Gb TB3/4 connections in the one “cable” with dual USB-C connectors on each end.

12 Likes