A 2 in 1 laptop/tablet with some performance?

now I understand. That would indeed be great for those who use linux or other OS

And for people like me who already have a license :wink: Or for people like you who need Windows Pro/Enterprise editions and wouldn’t want to pay for the Home edition :wink:

It seems like most votes goes to 16:9 and 16:10, so with that in mind, what would the desired screen size be? Also, what resolution would you like? I will leave the poll for aspect ratio open for those who are new to this discussion. I want to warn that for example most 15" laptops are 15,6" so if you want that size, you should tick 15"-16" and not 14-15". This to avoid confusion.
Also, I didn’t make a difference in 16:9 or 16:10 on this since I don’t know what are the possibilities and they seem close enough that I think it wouldn’t make a difference of an inch. If we have a selection on size and desired resolution, than we can have a look at the possible displays. Also with the size decided, other parts of the device can be decided such as motherboards, batterypack and so on, which will define the final height. Also formfactor should be decided since that can influence overall layout. When I have some time I will try to make some 3D models of the possible formfactors.

• Less than 10"
  • 10"-11"
  • 11"-12"
  • 12"-13"
  • 13"-14"
  • 14"-15"
  • 15"-16"
  • 16"-17"
  • More than 17"
  • Doesn’t matter for me

0 voters

• FHD or equivalent
  • QHD or equivalent
  • QHD+ or equivalent
  • 4K UHD or equivalent

0 voters

I think you should leave the resolution discussion for later, when a screen size range has been decided upon. As shown in one of my earlier posts in this thread, I’d want, for instance FHD or equivalent if the screen is in the 13-14" range but QHD or equivalent if the screen is in the 14-16" range…

It’s a great idea in principle.
I would be worried about the support/return implications from all the people who try and save money by buying without OS. The ones who were told Linux iis very easy by some user on LinuxWorld . Or the ones who have an old XP disc and couldn’t get it to work. Etc etc.

Well I do understand your point. My idea was to numb down both, and than look what is available. And then do a poll about what combination is most preferred, by numbing down the possible combinations that poll will be easier to make

Other manufacturers deal with it pretty fine. Take Lenovo as an example - almost all of their models ship without Windows optionally. Nobody cares if someone complains about Linux not working… It’s not our problem they say. It’s very simple: there is no support whatsoever on the software side unless you’re using Windows. They provide the drivers for Windows, and if you buy it with Windows, the Windows warranty is included (yes, there is such a thing, at least there was until v10, now I’m not sure). They might also provide drivers for Linux, but it’s purely the buyer’s responsibility to install their OS. I don’t think there could be any problems with support, they just need get the boundaries straight :wink:

I think it would be much easier to just let people choose the size for now. For example, if most people vote for 14-15", and the rest vote for lower sizes, there is a likely situation where you would see 60% of votes on FullHD even though only 10% of the voters for FullHD also voted for 14-15". And when the people who voted for other sizes see that 14-15" won, they would most likely change their votes to higher resolution. This is a very specific example, but I think you see where it’s leading :wink:

I do understand, but that is why there will be another poll that will combine size and resolution. But or that I needed to numb down on the possible combinations, since it would otherwise be to much possibilities I fear.

Your current approach is: decide the most popular size and the most popular resolution separately, then present people with options. The thing is, there are pretty much infinite options, and it would be much more productive to let people decide on the size and only then on the resolution, because the results of the second poll might be COMPLETELY different then. I’m just saying that the second poll as it stands right now is not indicative and I would personally ignore its results :wink:
If you just let people choose the size, you will not need a big poll with all the possibilities - you will only include 3-4 different resolutions and that’s all :slight_smile:

Tomorrow evening or Saturday, I will close the polls and start the next poll which links size and resolution. This weekend I can try to make a 3D simulation of the possible formfactors and create a poll about that.

Form factors will be an interesting one. Personally, I’m not sure this device needs to be 2-in-1. Touchscreen, definitely. But 2-in-1?

A high-performance detachable would basically be an upscaled V since the tech needs to be in the display. A high-performance convertable would be big and heavy to hold in tablet mode.

Wouldn’t we want our performance gaming/workstation device to be optimised for those goals, since we can pull out our deliciously portable Vs when we need tablet mode?

Right now, we have two threads going on: one about a performance 2-in-1, one about a developer/pro laptop. I think a lot of people are following and posting in both threads, and I think a lot of the design goals will be quite similar. Maybe we should first figure out if the V’s big brother needs to be a 2-in-1 or not, and then combine the threads into a more singular design flow?

http://eve.community/t/how-about-a-developer-pro-laptop-from-eve/2037

I think it was meant to be a laptop with 360 degree hinge, like Lenovo Yoga series?
Putting a touchscreen on a laptop without this type of hinge makes absolutely zero sense, in my honest opinion. I can’t see any situation where you would want to use touch like that. Except things like scrolling, but we have precision touchpads for that and it’s definitely not worth the extra price for a touch panel.

I personally use touch in these “modes”:

• Holding the tablet in my hand
  • Having the tablet set down in a horizontal position on a desk
  • (very rarely) in a vertical position on the edge of a desk so that it’s closer to me and keyboard’s out of the way.

Neither of these work with a traditional laptop form factor, so I wouldn’t even consider paying extra for a touchscreen that doesn’t have that hinge.

I did not really see it to use in tablet mode, but with the base turned away I would be able to use the touchscreen much easier. There are several possible formfactors, so that is why I would ask which one is preferred. if it were just a touchscreen gaming laptop, than I would not be able to use it for taking notes in class, than it would just be a replacement for my current gaming laptop and that is something that I would only replace if needed. But the surface pro 3 that I use is definitely ready to be replaced since at normal use I hit the limits of it (google chrome internet browsing can result in laggy situations even with 2-3tabs). I wouldn’t mind if eve made a performance laptop, who knows that I could buy it. But I think there is a big difference between a gaming laptop and a 2 in 1 with decent performance.

Eve already offers a 2-in-1 with decent performance…

And I however have not enough with a m7 unfortunately. And does it even have a dGPU to get even close to some performance? For me eve is just a tablet, I will probably have the same problems with it as I have with the surface pro3, just with some new hardware, and a new price tag. I guess you video rendering will be as bad on the Eve V as it is on the surface pro. Performance of both CPU’s are close to eachother

No they don’t… Eve V has a passively cooled dual core, which isn’t even remotely close to a true Intel quad core.

@Brecht_Schatteman I suggest you start using Firefox. I use that on a tablet similar to the first Surface Pro i3 model and I can browse with 20 tabs open, no problem. In addition, it’s just as fast and has all the plugins you might need. And you’re using Chrome on a 2 generations newer tablet and it still lags with 3 tabs open…

I just use it if needed, no web browsing for fun. So I won’t switch to firefox, I have once been forced to use firefox (the school had only option for internet explorer or firefox) and I still prefer google chrome. For web browsing that can be done on another time, I do it later on my laptop, but things as viewing the changes in classes schedule, that is something that can’t wait and does only use 2 tabs (one for university mail and one for university faculty webpage, since it can be announced on both ways without using being announced on the other one).

How did @pauliunas not see this :scream:

Sorry, I was replying to @Helios and then this reply popped up above mine, so I didn’t read it :smile: