720x480 3:2 or 4:3?

I am interested to know whether the EVE Spectrum firmware displays a 720x480 signal with a 3:2 aspect ratio (treating it as having square pixels) or a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Can anyone confirm?

1 Like

Aspect-ratio correction is not supported at this moment. Pixels are square (PAR=1:1).

Some time ago, I proposed adding support for multiple extra resolutions, including resolutions lower than the current minimum 640×480. Some of those extra resolutions need optional aspect-ratio correction (320×200, 256×224, 384×224, 400×254). Both adding extra resolutions and aspect-ratio correction are under consideration.

A serious limiting factor for adding extra video modes is that EDID apparently has a limited capacity. Each combination of a resolution and a refresh rate takes up one slot in EDID, so adding extra modes may need deleting some of existing modes. From this perspective, an important potential feature would probably be support for displaying any input mode as long as the resolution is equal or lower than the native resolution and the refresh rate is within the supported range.

3 Likes

This is what I was hoping to hear, thank you!

I second your request to add sub 480p resolutions.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, in the pixel-perfect scaling mode, aspect-ratio correction as I proposed it for Eve Spectrum, is meant to be pixel-perfect (with both vertical and horizontal scales being integer and with no blur and no distortion; and with the target aspect ratio matched approximately — like in the noues mode in MAME or the “Pixel-Perfect” output mode in my bsnes-mt) and optional (enableable / disableable) anyway.

2 Likes