4k monitor to be used in 1440p?

Hey everyone,

I was hoping to hear if the 4k monitor has been tested in other resolutions like 1440p/120fps. I have the series X and I plan to bounce between 4k and 1440p depending on the game.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I would believe If they configure it if it’s in 4K mode at 144Hz and when it goes down a tick in the resolution, I believe it should be 1440p@240Hz. That makes the most logistical sense but they’re maybe limitations that I am unaware of.

3 Likes

You have to remember that even if you set the resolution to 1440p the monitor is still upscaling to 4K and driving the same number of physical pixels. You will not get a higher refresh rate.

6 Likes

Yea I was still expecting to stay at 144hz. But games like fortnite and rocket league are 1440p/120fps on the series x and just wanted to make sure the monitor will have no issues running that

1 Like

This monitor refreshes its screen to show the current frame in 4K, at 144 refreshes a second.

Your computer/console is responsible for drawing the current frame in 4K at 144 frames per second. If it is not powerful enough, it will draw frames at a lower fps or a lower resolution.

Your monitor will have no problem displaying any frames sent to it in 4K @ 144hz.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s what he is asking.

He wants to know if the 4k monitor won’t look like dog shit when computers and consoles are outputting games at 2k to drive higher fps.

Obviously hitting 4k 144fps will be very hard for majority of next gen games but turning the resolution down will compensate this.

So far 1080p should look great on this monitor but 2k may look like rubbish due to the way upscaling works. I hope I’m wrong…

5 Likes

Anyone knows if it’s possible to set 2k resolution on 4k model? I do really prefer to work in 2k, and would love to get 4k model to get some games in 4k.

Thanks a lot in advance!

4 Likes

Yes, I belive it is possible to change the resolution from native 4K to 2K on Spectrum. On Windows it’s Start >Settings>System>Display. If you have an nVidia GPU, you can also right click on the desktop and change it within the nVidia control panel under Display and there you can change the resolution.

3 Likes

Hi Techmo! Thanks for reply.
But do you “believe” or know for sure, since most of 4k monitors don’t allow to do just that. I’ve had an Lenovo 4k monitor, and manufacturer removed some resolutions from supported list, so system won’t list them.
I was able for instance to switch to 1k and to 4k, but no 2k on that monitor.

2 Likes

Hi yellowmegaman

Check out Project: Spectrum | Status Update - Development / Project: Spectrum | Development - Eve Community

In @Lore_Wonders opening post, the last picture shows the Spectrum’s EDID data they’re inputting. You can just about see that there’s various 1440p resolutions.

5 Likes

Nice find, thanks for the heads up!

3 Likes

It may be worth pointing out that all the 1440p entries appear to have ‘Optional’ next to them.
They’re on the list of things to test, but I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily a guarantee they’ll be in the final product.

@Lore_Wonder - perhaps you could comment on this.

4 Likes

OP might find this post on the community testing thread interesting.

I am sure it will be supported but it is very doubtful that it will be pixel perfect (ie not blurred) due to the non-integer scale factor.

4 Likes

I think you mean it’s literally impossible, for the reason you mentioned.

Unless of course they ‘letterbox’ it - i.e. output 1440p 1:1 in the middle of the screen with black bars around it, but I can only assume this wasn’t what OP had in mind.

3 Likes

Fwiw, with integer scaling (“Pixel-Perfect” mode in Spectrum), centering unscaled image with black bars around it is the expected result in cases like QHD→4K when the maximum integer scaling ratio is 1.0.

5 Likes

This is something I am really interested in too, but my understanding of the Tech is far too limited. Maybe whiter community members get to review a pre production could include testing this? (@Lore_Wonder)?

I game on a 5K monitor atm @1440 for that sweet 1/2 perfect scaling so assume a 1080 picture would actually look better than a 1440 one on 4K monitors such as the Spectrum but going to put my hands up and say I’m far too inexperienced with that kind of thing to be certain.

5 Likes

@MT @Spirit Yup, that is what I had in mind, full screen will absolutely be blurred and I have not seen any statement from Eve saying that centered 1:1 or UWQHD will definitely be available options for 1440p. I previously posted something along those lines here.

I hope I am wrong because I would definitely use a letterbox 1440p mode in some cases (as another option to find the best balance between framerate and quality).

5 Likes

Hey, @Spirit! We confirm that Spectrum will support at least some of the optional QHD resolutions.

Yes, of course!

7 Likes

Awesome.
I didn’t fully complete the sample testing as I have no real product review experience, but I defo saw a couple of folks who mentioned multiple res.

3 Likes