32" 4K 144Hz Spectrum

You know @Konstantinos, the more I think about it, the more I feel like the other vendors will not actually get their act together for another year at least. In my quoted post, I put together a wishlist of 32" Spectrum features that I thought would be a good future direction. But here’s the status of the competition:

• The Acer XB323QK NV doesn’t actually support KVM (trigger warning: cringeful video).
  • Neither will the Philips 329M1RV(E), and judging by the manual it might not even transport data on the USB-C port.
  • The AOC Agon AG324UX is too red for a monitor and more importantly, might not actually make it outside of China.
  • The Gigabyte Aorus FI32U and MSI Optix MPG321UR-QD have KVM, but fail on the power delivery front with 15W USB-C charging max (unconfirmed for MSI, but strongly assumed given sibling monitors and their integrated power adapter).
  • Don’t count on LG, ASUS, Dell, ViewSonic, Lenovo, HP, NEC or Samsung to make a monitor that’s simultaneously targeted towards the intersection of PC gaming and WFH laptop use.

So I say, screw new features and beat them to market instead. Spectrum as it stands is good enough, assuming further firmware development and bugfixes. Take the existing scaler, source a new DisplayHDR 400/600 panel, scale up your existing design to house the 32" panel with all the production line adaptations required, and make the monitor that your competition isn’t interested in making. You can be the “World’s First 32" 4K 144Hz Gaming Monitor with 100W Power Delivery and KVM Switch”, at least until it gets delayed a bunch.

But even then I think the no-nonsense design, pixel-perfect scaling, upgradeable firmware and known performance via forum experience reports will be appealing to many users.

Start the panel sourcing now. Develop the casing and enlarged stand in parallel to the work required for Model 1. Announce a shipping date for February 2022 and ship just a little later in July. I think it could work, and so does @NikolaSivkov.

5 Likes

As fasr as i can see the only monitor that comes close right now but it’s yet unreleased is : Asus ROG PG32UQ. As far as i can see even this monitor has been delayed to Q3 from initial Q2 release.

32" 4k 144Hz HDMI 2.1. So the panel exists! This means Eve can do this (but with less gamer-y look)!
I will pre-order day 1 if Eve decides to make one.

3 Likes

Competition update:

• Gigabyte just announced the M32U, which would be a more affordable version of their Aorus FI32U (mentioned in my original post) and the first 32"/4K/144Hz monitor without aggressive gamer aesthetics. Pricing not yet announced, but Gigabyte is aggressive with their M-series pricing, this will be your benchmark price. You can charge more for better specs, but if you deviate too much, people will just buy this anyway and live with the downsides. Obvious downsides are only 18W USB-C charging (hey, better than 15W on the FI32U), worse warranty (not a downside vs. Eve) and a crappier, though less space-intensive stand.
  • Acer announced their Predator XB323K. Inexplicably they seem to lose their USB-C port and (very manual) KVM functionality compared to the XB323QK NV that I mentioned in my initial post and which has still only been rolled out to China and Middle East for now. The big thing about the XB323K is the panel, this is an AUO AHVA (IPS) panel with DisplayHDR 600, 1200:1 contrast and a 99% DCI-P3 gamut. This would seem like the panel you’d want to use, matching the 27" Spectrum’s high standard (except bottom bezel, but oh well) and especially since LG’s candidate panel seems delayed until Q2 2022 now.

I’d also like to mention that calls for a 32" Spectrum model seem rather popular in the YouTube comments of recent reviews, sandwiched among discussions about whether or not Eve is a scam of course.

Alternatively, you could of course wait for the LG panel - DisplayHDR 1000 sounds pretty good as well - but take the hit of a rather substantial delay. Depends on what else is on your plate until then, I guess, and whether your current manufacturing partner is able to deal with AUO panels as opposed to LG.

From my POV having bought 2 spectrums 4k, i will wait at least 2 years before ordering a 4k 32" for two reasons
1.) let the tech mature a bit
2.) save money :smiley:

1 Like

Competition update:

I was wrong and it appears there is going to be at least one mostly reasonable model coming out later this year:

• The Acer XV322QK KV was introduced in Taiwan for now, but the manual is available in English already too and Acer predicts to bring it to the German market in October. It’s got the monitor enclosure of the XB323QK NV or XB323K, but without RGB and with a more compact stand that doesn’t pivot. In a nutshell, this is essentially the 32" version of the Acer XV282K KV sporting the FI32U’s panel, with Adaptive Sync, DisplayHDR 400, an OSD-only KVM switch, all the ProxiSense & Co. sensors, presumably still no integer scaling and middling strobing presets, and importantly, 65W power delivery over USB-C. Setting it apart from Gigabyte’s monitors. In terms of pricing, one would imagine that it sits somewhere between the Acer XV282K KV and the XB323QK NV - not particularly competitive compared to Gigabyte, but probably not far off from what one would budget for an Eve monitor.

In light of this development, I’m starting to think that perhaps Eve is better off waiting for LG’s DisplayHDR 1000 panel in order to retain a significant selling point advantage. (Not that I don’t consider integer scaling and BlurBusters strobing calibration a huge bonus, but the market at large probably cares less about the finer details.) With a bit of luck, LG will use the continued delay of its panel for also making it 4-sided bezel-less, which would benefit the Spectrum style. And my earlier suggestion of February was perhaps a little over-ambitious for a new physical design in addition to the other stuff that’s still getting produced.

2 Likes