It has been 14 days since the V arrived. I already use it as my main machine and I am very satisfied with it. Here is my short summary:
- The display is absolutely gorgeous - I spent like two hours on the first day browsing through my photo archive just for the pleasure of seeing my pics with proper colors. Same applies to movies. There is slight light bleed on the bottom. Shouldn’t be there really, but you don’t see it in normal use.
- The V is fast enough for all I do, very smooth experience (I have the i7 model). Also I went for full-Windows experience using my Microsoft account for login, connecting my OneDrive etc. and all that works very well.
- The keyboard is absolutely great, I type a lot, as much of my work is writing stuff so keyboard quality is very important to me. Not only the keys feel great and have a long travel distance for such a small device (which I very much like) it is also far from silent, with very satisfying thump with every key pressed. Granted, it is not Model M but for such a small device awesome. I also very much like the fact that it detaches and can be used via Bluetooth - now typing on a train has finally became comfortable. The only slight problems are a) tilted touchpad, b) unable to press SHIFT-CTRL-V (or any other SHIFT-CTRL combination) and c) seemingly keyboard loosing key presses in BT mode.
- The sound - speakers are not as bad as I expected after initial HEBs reviews. However, indeed they seem pointed wrong way as someone noticed. People on the other side of a table get a much better experience than me. Also, if you have a desk against a wall the experience will be better with sound bouncing off it. On headphones no complaints whatsoever.
- The pen - works ok for sketching or in graphical programs that I tried. Windows character recognition is a big disappointment though. My Samsung Note 8 does a much better job transcribing my handwriting than my V. In fact on Windows it is barely usable. And it is definitely not a hardware issue, as same hardware performs ok in drawing programs.
- Connectivity is of course as expected - it is great to be able to connect regular headphones, use old USB devices at the same time charging my V. Probably one of the reasons - apart from the pen V - why my MacBook Air equipped colleagues are slightly envious of my V.
As I wrote above I am very satisfied with my V, didn’t even think of returning it. Most of my complaints (sleep problems, CTRL-SHIFT issue, character recognition) are software-correctable, so I am hopeful they will go away eventually. Next week I take my V on a longer trip through Europe, we will see how it performs as my travel companion.
BTW - EVE wrote to me they will replace my keyboard. I was very positively surprised how fast they were in reacting to the problem report re. tilted touchpad. Very reassuring in case anything more serious happened.