Introducing myself first - happy owner of a LB i7v, 1 tb variant, from Paris, France.
After 2 weeks with the device, here are my first impressions, as well as some questions for the community.
I bought the V, hoping to replace both an aging desktop PC (8y old), and maybe also my ipad.
I can say that it’s a very nice device, well worth the wait.
First, for now it can perfectly replace the desktop. Quite snappy for web browsing and light work - impressive given the fanless design.
Very nice also is its ability for gaming - I’m coupling it with an aorus gaming box 1070 and can play Vermintide 2 or tomb raider with a nice quality and high framerate.
“ipad with steam and real games installed” - check and nicely too
However, Im also finding the V is far from actually replacing an ipad, not due to issues with the device but due to windows not coming even close to iOs in term of ease of use in tablet mode. I’ll certainly keep the ipad, even if it’s not due to any fault with the V. On this I have a few questions for you all
Actually, windows is my biggest issue with the device - I’m used to, and like it, as a desktop OS but the tablet mode is quite quirky / confusing compared to the apple experience.
About the device itself:
- first impression are great, nice design and fast, although a little heavy with keyboard
- good keyboard / touchpad when attached, almost at mac book pro level
- I was very worried with the sound. At first I didn’t notice any issue, but I did a big mistake: tried to update drivers after a few days and installed the sound driver from the support page. Just after, I started realizing horrible distorsion in system sound and figured that the new driver (1.0 from support page) was actually older that the one that shipped (it was actually older than the old linked in the forum) - it might be worth warning users about the drivers intended for the december batch. Even with the 1.1 sound driver, it’s still not that good. maybe there is a new version I can install to have the same config as when it shipped?
- pen is also a disappointment when used to an ipad pen: needs very high pressure on the screen, and therefore very difficult to use to write.
As a conclusion:
I like my V, especially with an eGPU the concept of a light PC that can turn into a gaming box when plugged in.
Sound issue aside ( I really hope the drivers keep improving), most of my concern seem software / windows related, and maybe some knowledgeable users in the community could help
So here are my questions:
- is there a way to configure the pen , notably pressure response curve?
- I also noticed a strange bug with the touchpad of the keyboard. It’s working fine when attached, but when in bluetooth mode, it looses any setting configured in windows preferences (such as touchpad sensitivity for instance, or disabling tap to click) - making it very difficult to use in bluetooth. Driver or windows issue? is there a way to fix these settings?
- do you have nice windows app for the tablet mode to recommand? I’d like it to be close to ipad experience for tasks such as mail checking (like spark app on Ios), PDF vieving, or photo browsing for instance, and im quite confused with my desktop apps (eg thunderbird, foxit pdf, picasa, …).
thanks for reading all this and looking forward to exchange in the community (which is another reason I like the V).
and kudos to the Eve team - despite the small issue, I’m quite impressed with your ability to produce such a device for a new company.