What I’d love to see is a 17" version of the Eve V.
As a sometimes artist I always use an A3 size pad for my sketches etc so the notion that a 17" touch screen is too big doesn’t wash for me. Also the Surface Studio is even bigger.
Problems with Surface Studio:
- Far, far too expensive for the internal components (its £3.5k in the UK for a 16GB, 1Tb, 1060 core i7, I’d say thats about £2k too much!)
- Its not portable. This may be just me, but although I mainly work from home at my desk, I’m often abroad, like to work out and about, like to take my computer to meetings. I don’t want and cant afford to have two computers for this, because they both have to be high powered 3D capable machines (I mainly do 3D design and game stuff)
My Alienware 17 just about serves my needs, but really its too big. I did get an Aorus X7 dt v7 which was much much nicer but I had to send it back because there was no anti-ghosting on the keyboard so shortcuts didnt work and the screen surround was metal and blocked the antenna, so wifi pickup was useless. However the Aorus did prove that its possible to have a powerful 17" computer in an Apple-esque quality thin body that didnt have the £1000 ‘Razer tax’ added to the price! I also liked the fact that you could upgrade the RAM to 64 GB because it had 4 dimms, Ive only seen this on Dell Workstations, which are nice, but because of the stupidly overpriced Quadro cards, insanely expensive (like £5k for something that has the GPU performance of a 2070).
I’m sick of Windows computers being so terribly poorly built. I have a 10 year old Macbook Pro which is still pristine and the Dell that i bought around the same time is a joke, screen hinges are held together with tape, I had a keyboard sat ontop of the actual keyboard because certain keys stopped working, trackpad buttons dont work, so external mouse etc. So something Unibodyish is kind of a must for me.
Pretty much my perfect concept for an Eve VII right now would be the new Dell XPS 17 but with the screen flat on top in place of the keyboard. So a 17" version of the Eve V design but with the innards of the Dell XPS 17 ie:-
- 17" 16:10, 3840 x 2400 touchscreen (Outdoor bright and 90% Adobe RGB capable)
Core i7 10875
- 32 GB Ram (upgradable to 64 NOT SOLDERED)
- 1TB storage (Upgradable, two full speed M2 slots, one free)
- Decent speakers
- Long haul flight capable battery life (its about 9hrs unless you are gaming at full power then its about 2)
- 4x Thunderbolt 3 ports (not stupid USB-C like MS Surface)
- Full size SD Card slot (this is so damn handy for anyone who uses a camera)
- Apple-esque quality build
For the keyboard dock:
- Apple quality trackpad (please! why are windows trackpads still so damn rubbish, they are like a decade behind Mac trackpads)
- Chicklet keyboard (basically the Dell XPS 17 keyboard is pretty perfect by the looks of it, so that but in the EVE V style foldout design.)
- Maybe there could be an alternative keyboard dock that had extra battery in it? Or the ability to plug in an extra battery to the keyboard dock or something?
I expect by the time an Eve VII would be on the cards there’d even be an RTX 3060 available which would be even better.
I’d also love to see the 4x Ram slots and an extra M2 slot like you get on proper portable workstations.
What do others think?