And another thing that just came to my mind and which bothers me with ALL existing devices and all computer keyboards. I never quite understood why nobody can do this:
On the F1-F12 keys there are media shortcuts for adjusting brightnes and volume and other things:
- Some companies have a layout with Fn-function first: Just pressing the button increases brightness without using Fn-key.
- Others use those keys in reverse: Just pressing F3 is F3 and to increase brightness you would need to press Fn+F3.
I would really prefer possibility possibility (1), BUT: I use a lot of key-combinations like Strg+F11, Alt+F4 and others and I have NEVER found a keyboard of type (1) that was NOT a PITA, because you always have to press Alt+Fn+F4 or Strg+Fn+F11.
So, this would be my proposal to improve possibility (1):
- Pressing i.e. F3 directly increases brightnes and so on.
- Whenever a user holds down Alt, Strg, Shift or the Windows key (for a combination, are there any else that are used for those combinations?) he will NEVER intend to use media functions, like increasing/decreasing brightness or volume. Why on earth would he hold another key for doing so if can do it with just pressing one button? So, when those keys are hold down it's directly possible to use all F1-F12 keys as F-keys without pressing Fn.
- Short version: F4 decreases keyboard brightness, Alt+F4 closes a window (instead of Fn+Alt+F4, which is really complicated with one hand) and Fn+F4 is F4.
For me, this is how a keyboard should work. What do you think?